It’s time thinking about how the development should be done in future or what should be done.
As you know, kdesvn is splitted into three parts:
- The standalone application with full featured subversion UI
- A KIO interface let you browse in subversion repositories from within filemanagers (ksvn+xxxx)
- A commandline interface which is very basic including menu entries for filemanagers
The UI this moment is more/less just a graphical interface to the most common subversion commands. It has no real defined workflows integrated (branching, tagging etc.), user has to know what them have to use. But it interact with other KDE components for instance export/import with drag&drop from dolphin or other filemanager.
KIO is very basic, it is a simple chance displaying contents of SVN repositories including views on specific revisions from within standard filemanager. With the commandline interface of kdesvn some context menus are integrated which let you do some basic stuff.
Following wishes I’d got last years:
- Let the UI more workflow specific, eg, “Branch” and “Tag” instead of “Copy”, better bugracker integration
- Let have filemanager context menus more options to do like TortoiseSVN or RabbitCVS so starting the UI isn’t necessary
- When open a working copy in standard filemanager display overlay icons showing the state of items in working copy, eg, better transparent integration into standard KDE components
- First of all: Time. I’m not able any more, writing the code AND writing documentation and translations. This is one of the reasons for the move to KDE’s git.
But this problem means: I’m not able and not willing make bigger enhancements to UI AND to commandline/KIO at the same time.
- The subversion C-Api: Meanwhile I hate every new release of subversion ’cause in every release them change their API and flooding my code with deprecated messages or force me changing my OWN internal API due incompatible changes (like relative vs absolute pathes of items). It needs meanwhile more time than integrating new features.
So I’m searching for ideas how to handle this a better way.
- I have no idea how to integrate kdesvn deeper into dolphin and co (like overlay icons on working copies, handle filemanager copies/moves and so on).
May I just didn’t found the documentation of it.
- What would you say kdesvn development should prefer? UI or KIO/commandline?
- Is there a possibility for deeper transparent integration into filemanagers? Is this wanted and/or needed?
- Has someone an idea how to handle the permanent API changes of subversion liberaries?
- What kind of subversion workflows from your point of view are needed inside UI?
It would be realy nice getting some constructive suggestions here.